Here are the details of maps for Leeds (North) and Chapeltown:
We have published two versions of this map, showing how the area changed across the years.
The maps cover a busy part of northern Leeds. Coverage stretches from Woodhouse Street eastward to Harehills Road and northward to Potternewton Lane. Various areas are covered, including Harehills, New Leeds, Potternewton Park, Woodhouse Carr, Buslingthorpe and Scott Hall.
Features (on the 1890 map) include Woodhouse Carr area, Buslingthorpe area, Buslingthorpe Tannery, Hill Top Leather Works, Carr Mills, Springwell Leather Works, Ridge Mill, Perseverance Mill, Woodhouse Chemical Works, Meanwood Road Leather Works, Tiplin Hall, windmill, Scott Hall Quarries, Scott Hall Farm, Potternewton Hall, Potternewton House, St Martin's church, Union Chapel, Chapeltown Tramway Depot, Newton Green Hall, Harehills Grove, Harehills Mill Farm, New Leeds area, Gledhow Mount, Gledhow Grove, tramways, Gledhow Wood, Harehills House, etc.
The map links up with Sheets 203.10 Chapel Allerton to the north, 203.13 Headingley to the west, and 218.02 Central Leeds to the south.
This map covers several districts, and is centred on what we now know as Chapeltown. Our maps show the area as it was being developed, with large mansions such as Potternewton Hall, Gledhow Mount, Newton Hall and The Mansion still providing homes for Leeds merchants, in what was a rapidly disappearing countryside. The new suburb of New Leeds was spreading across the southern part of the map, while trams were beginning to carry commuters out towards Chapel Allerton and elsewhere; the Roundhay Road saw the first trams in England to use overhead wires. To the east was the very different suburb of Buslingthorpe, with its leather works and tanneries, a reminder that Leeds was a major centre for boot-making.
"As the streets of ‘bricks and mortar’ approached up Roundhay Road, so the fine country villas built for well-to-do merchants around Harehills enjoyed their last few years of rural splendour. Harehills House, sometimes known as The Orchard, was occupied in the early 20th century by Charles Edwin Penfold, d.1943, a provisions merchant, and the house was remembered as having a large front door, sweeping staircase and a billiard room. Penfold later moved to Potternewton House.
"Harehills Grove, a large Regency-style house sometimes known as The Mansion, was built for James Brown, and was at one time home to John Jowitt, a Quaker, who moved here in 1859. The house had extensive gardens, clearly shown here, and Jowitt was happy for people to enjoy these. Large numbers of Sunday School children were invited in on special occasions and he took ‘joyfully’ to them “trampling down the shrubberies and grass, and [leaving] debris of orange-peel and bits of paper”. In 1900 the house and grounds were acquired by Leeds Corporation and in 1906 Potternewton Park was opened to the public. The house, Grade II listed, is now owned by Park Lane College but has a disconsolate, neglected air in 2018."